16" by 22" Oil on Panel
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Ca Ira's companionway hatch boards fit nicely now that I've epoxied strips of mahogany on either side to widen them. The photo shows the test fit, now I'm varnishing them.
I'm also varnishing Morgaine's spars.
I filled this hole in Ca Ira's aft deck with epoxy. I'm not really sure why it formed, but I'll watch the epoxy patch and see if it holds.
Every year when I haul Ca Ira, I find that a few of the bolts holding on her pintals and gudgeons have broken and I have to replace them. I'm not sure why the bolts break, but this year, I photographed the bolts that I replaced so that I can see if the same bolts break next year.
Monday, March 28, 2011
Here's two en plein air watercolor sketches of the Chesapeake Bay. I painted them both at Terrapin park on Kent Island. The larger one is 12" by 15." I was looking north towards Baltimore. The smaller one is 7" by 10." It's the entrance to the Magothy with a tug pushing a barge south down the Bay.
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
I built this cover for my father's Whitehall, Landseer.
I made this tiller cover for my Pearson Triton, Ca Ira.
I also made a tool roll for my screwdrivers.
And after I rebuilt Ca Ira's forward hatch, I made a cover for it.
Sunday, March 20, 2011
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Last weekend, I came into possession of three sheets of FREE masonite, so I cut it up into useful painting sizes and glued strips of wood to the back like canvas stretcher frames to stiffen it up. Then I gessoed it. The picture above is the new painting surfaces drying in the boatshop (aka-- garage.) The transom of the boat in the background belongs to my GP 14. She's hanging from the ceiling right now, but I hope to get her down and fix the centerboard leak this spring.
I have been editing my blog. I decided that there was too much stuff on the side bar and it was detracting from my images. Also, I noticed that according to my Stat Counter, no one was actually leaving my blog by the blog links in the side bar. So I deleted most of the links, but kept a few and moved them up with the web links. I hope no one takes it personally that the link to their blog or page was removed.
The companionway hatch boards on my Pearson Triton, Ca Ira, have been too small for the companionway opening for a couple of years, since I tried to strip off old cracked varnish with the belt sander and took off a little too much. I'm too broke to buy new mahogany boards large enough to replace them, so I'm gluing strips of mahogany to the edges with epoxy. The photo above shows the top hatch board clamped and drying.
I only had two clamps long enough to clamp this project together, so my father had the bright idea of joining two smaller clamps together to span the distance, as the above photo shows.
And that's my excuse for not having any new paintings to post!
Sunday, March 6, 2011
Thursday, March 3, 2011
I painted this on Kent Island. I was looking out across the marsh at the Chester River shortly before sunset yesterday.
7" by 10" Watercolor